Wednesday, March 5, 2014

My Experience as an Intern at Windber Research Institute by Hunter Bomba

            My passion has always cemented itself in mathematics and science. Before I ventured off to college, I sought to gain experience in a laboratory setting; Windber Research Institute (WRI) offered me just that opportunity. During my internship at WRI, I worked with the Tissue Bank and Cell Biology groups and assisted the Laboratory Manager.
            The Tissue Bank at WRI gathers normal and diseased tissue samples from donors for various research studies in the institute. In the Tissue Bank department, I mastered a variety of skills including: Hematoxylin and Eosin (H&E) staining, cover slipping techniques for histological slides, and the filing of slides. I also processed blood donated to the Clinical Breast Care Project (CBCP). In addition to my time in the Tissue Banking lab, I assisted with data entry of clinical pathological information of the CBCP donors. Working in the Tissue Bank department was unique, as it allowed me not only to see the exciting lab work but also the necessary formalities associated with Human Subject’s Research.
            In addition to working in the Tissue Bank, I spent significant time in the Cell Biology laboratory. The Cell Biology department not only studies the advancement of breast cancer, but also works to identify new biomarkers for breast cancer. Apart from learning basic laboratory skills like adjusting the pH of buffers and solutions, I assisted in maintaining about ten different cell lines during the period of my internship. This included changing the media in the dishes where the cells grew, splitting the cells once they were confluent, and freeze/thawing cell lines when necessary. Additionally, it was my responsibility to check the liquid nitrogen level in the Dewar flask where the cell lines were stored, record temperatures of the shaker and incubator, and clean the incubator every week.
I also had the opportunity to run an acrylamide gel while working with the Cell Biology group. Running my own gel helped me to better understand the associated processes/terminologies such as electrophoresis, transfer, blocking, primary and secondary anti-bodies, and it was a great learning experience. Discussing the results with my coworkers was rewarding as well.
In addition to mammalian cell lines, I worked with DH5alpha bacteria. In the lab, I grew bacteria in flasks using LB Broth and then proceeded to follow a protocol in order to isolate the plasmids. Next, I measured the concentration of the plasmids obtained using the NanoDrop spectrophotometer. The plasmids acquired were then used to transfect mammalian cells. Through transfection, we were then able to study how a gene affected breast cancer progression. Through my time in Cell Biology, I learned a vast amount about cells, bacteria, and lab skills.
            Lastly, my work with the Laboratory Manger encompassed the challenge of updating the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) binders to meet the new Occupational Safety & Health Administration’s (OSHA) Safety Data Sheet (SDS) standards. The SDS documents provide safety and health facts that help keep employees informed and vigilant about the products they are working with. I alphabetized nearly 700 chemical documents, gathered electronic copies of the documents that met the new SDS criteria, and created a new master spreadsheet of the chemicals in the building. While the task was tedious, I learned the importance of keeping accurate records and maintaining safety information in the laboratory.
            Overall, I appreciated my time at the WRI. Working in multiple departments gave me a broader view of a research setting and taught me the value of teamwork, professionalism, and communication. I am thankful for the opportunity and would like to thank WRI and all of the employees, for welcoming me and providing me with such an amazing experience. I am anxious to incorporate the knowledge I gained here into my college work and future career.

No comments:

Post a Comment